Tooth-Colored Fillings – Center, TX
Choose a Metal-Free Solution
When you think about a dental filling, a dark metal restoration likely comes to mind. Metal fillings have held a commonplace in restorative dentistry for decades because they are effective, but they are also very noticeable. Not to mention, many people are concerned about the risk of long-term mercury exposure. Did you know you have another option to treat a cavity? Tooth-colored dental fillings in Center blend in with your enamel, so no one will ever notice them.
3 Reasons to Choose Family Dental Center of East Texas
- Mercury-free, biocompatible restorations.
- Natural-looking results.
- Personalized dental solutions
That is a Tooth-Colored Filling?
Amalgam fillings are made of a mixture of metals, which also includes mercury. This makes them durable, so they can last for several years; however, their benefits also come with many disadvantages. Their dark appearance makes them stick out like a sore thumb when you smile. Besides the aesthetic concerns, it’s normal to question the risk of long-term mercury exposure.
Tooth-colored fillings resolve their disadvantages because they don’t contain any metal. Instead, they are made of a mixture of glass and plastic particles to create a resin that’s shaded to match your enamel. This allows it to look like your natural tooth without compromising the durability of the filling.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Tooth-colored fillings provide exceptional benefits over amalgam ones, including:
- Biocompatible: There’s no need to worry about mercury exposure or metal sensitivities.
- Natural-Looking: The resin is customized to match the color of your enamel.
- Improves Oral Health: Strengthens your tooth because wedges don’t need to be cut into it to support the filling.
- Long-Lasting: Durable to protect your tooth for a decade or longer with the right aftercare.
- Affordable: Many dental insurance carriers pay a portion of their cost.
How are Tooth-Colored Fillings Placed?
The process of treating a cavity with a tooth-colored filling will vary slightly compared to what you expect with a metal one. After your tooth is cleaned and any decay is removed, your dentist in Center applies a weak acid to open the pores in your enamel and dentin. Your tooth is rinsed before the perfectly-shaded resin is applied to your tooth. It’s sculpted into the ideal shape and a special dental light is used to quickly harden it. Before you leave our office, your tooth is smooth and polished, so you can walk out with a beautiful, healthy smile.
Caring for Tooth-Colored Fillings
Although the filling isn’t made of metal, rest assured it can last for several years if you care for it properly. To promote its longevity, it’s best to:
- Brush your teeth twice a day using a soft-bristled toothbrush and a nonabrasive toothpaste.
- Floss every night before going to bed.
- Avoid eating sticky or overly hard foods with the filling.
- Avoid using the teeth as tools.
- Don’t chew on inedible objects.
- Avoid any stain-causing foods or drinks.
- Visit your dentist twice a year for a cleaning and checkup.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Don’t let a dark filling be the focal point of your smile. Enjoy a natural-looking solution with a tooth-colored filling. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.